Tuesday 23 July 2013

What is Life?: According to Jing: The Dancer's Stage - "Why Do You... ?"

Yes, a question heard and asked so commonly yet a question that can be so difficult to answer.

This post is a short story to my self-discovery and path to answering this question. For me, it is in regards with dance and my life.

Before I continue, I'd like to share this question with and for you to calibrate your thoughts. If by the end of this post you would like to express your answer to this question, please feel free to comment to this post and share your personal insight and experience! 

"Why do you do what you do?"


A couple of days ago, our dance teacher asked us this question:


"Why do you dance?"

So around the circle we go, each giving their answers. 

Then it was my turn to answer.

"I don't know how to explain."

Those were the very words. I could not, for the life of me, string a sentence together as to why I dance. It's not that I don't know why I dance - I just don't know what words and how I could phrase those words to give a (self)satisfactory answer.

For the next few days, I did attempt at putting a sentence together. It was tough.

It wasn't the first time our teacher asked us that question - the last time he asked, I still remember I said this:

"I don't know the reason to why I dance, and I don't want to know the reason."

It sounds really weird, but back then I really didn't want to know. I just went with my irrationality feelings. 

Shortly after that day, I found myself beginning to question the reason that led me to dance, continue dancing and always will dance. 

I'm not going to lie - it really got on my nerves. I just couldn't find the answer.

It was probably like... what Confucius felt when he initially sought out the meaning to life.

Fast forward however (few months later, today), as I was on my way home after dance, I started feeling - yes, feeling - the word to describe the reason I dance.

That word is: Acceptance.

Of course, I love dance. Dance is the essence to my life. But those words weren't elaborate enough, to me, as reasons to clarify what that continuous, nagging feeling within was.

Interestingly enough, it all then led to me recalling some things I've said, not so long ago, to my friend. It was in regards with loving someone or something:

"... it's to be able to share that happiness when it's there, accept the sadness when it comes, and be patient when the anger and pain comes along - to know and accept that, at the end of the day, to love this thing or person, is to love without any conditions, under any conditions."

All the while, I was thinking of dance. I didn't even realise it; only when the word 'acceptance' hit me (like a big pink school bus!)

"I dance - and I will always dance - because to and with dance, I am able to love without any conditions, under any conditions." 

It may seem ludicrous or out-of-touch with reality, but hereon, I will end this post with a particular quote for thought:
"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes."

- Mahatma Gandhi 

Thank you for taking the time to read!
I hope this post will somehow bring some positive, self-discovery moments for you.

Happy week ahead to you, dear reader! 

No comments:

Post a Comment